Brief History of Mernda and Surrounding District

townsignMernda and the surrounding district are suburbs to the north of Melbourne, Australia.

The district is proportionally split between two local council areas, City of Whittlesea and Nillumbik. The majority of the district is within the jurisdiction of the City of Whittlesea with portions of Doreen and Yarrambat under the jurisdiction of Nillumbik.

The Mernda area was originally known as Morang until 1893 when it was renamed Yan Yean South. In 1913 it was renamed to its current day name of Mernda which was derived from the Wurundjeri word meaning “earth”. At this time Mernda consisted of the following:
– School  primarysch
– Methodist Church DSCN0244
– Bakery / General Store Bakery Cafe Mernda
– Railway Station 1959 Mernda station
– Mechanics Institute mechanics
– Post Office postoffice
– Bridge Inn Hotel hotel

 

Today, Mernda along with Doreen is undergoing rapid growth with former farmland right along Plenty and Bridge Inn roads being transformed into vast estates of housing. However old relics of the past can still be witnessed in the area such as:
– The old Post Office on Schotters Road.
– The Uniting and Catholic Churches.
– The old Mernda Railway Station platform which once connected to the current day South Morang line and went all the way to Whittlesea.
– The Mernda Football club, nicknamed the Demons, which has won 18 premierships over its rich 100 year history.

<<< Back